Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Poor Ady Gil


Some of you may remember my tongue in cheek Friday Flash 55 about the Ady Gil, a high tech boat being used in the "War Against Whaling". If you don't click here for a refresher. If you do remember that post then you will be most disheartened to note the Ady Gil met her match on the high seas. For the full article click here. (Okay, I'm big into "click here" today, but it beats some sort of annoying footnote.)


So, here's the deal. The Ady Gil and her crew are off fighting the war against whaling in the Antarctic and confront a Japanese whaling ship. The usual method of "warring" is to throw ropes at the whalers propellers or stink bombs on their decks...real high school prank sorts of methods. I guess if these don't work they will stuff the Japanese ship into a locker or dunk them in flushed toilets. But what the Ady Gil's crew forgot was that steel is stronger than fiberglass.


Ouch.


No limping home for the Ady Gil. The hole is too big. Five million dollars of high tech boat, sinking into the briny sea. Fortunately no one was hurt. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

10 comments:

Rosaria Williams said...

Oh, sad story. I see how you could see the humor in this too.

Stacey J. Warner said...

Bummer, we need these boats to stop those horrible murderers, lol, kind of...

much love

Felicitas said...

I'm not laughing or crying - I'm really angry that the Japanese are being allowed to get away with breaking our international laws against whaling. And deliberately running down the Ady Gil (I believe Greenpeace's tale of events over their's) should be punishable. Perhaps a boycott of Japanese products is in order? Just a suggestion.

Monkey Man said...

LV - a sad story in deed. I like to see the humor, but I do side with the Ady Gil.

SJW - Whaling is archaic at best. There is no need for their products in today synthetic markietplace.

Felicitas - While I approched this with humor. It truly does annoy me and I too believe the Ady Gil was run down by the whaler and they should be punished.

Dianne said...

Serious stuff, thanks for the clicks.
my 55 will be early, by 5 or 55 hours.

And...my verification word was....
DENTYR, ha!

G-Man said...

The whales are crying....

...And dying!

Deb said...

Oh wow. This is the first I've heard of this. Still a bit foggy on the details, but I have seen past footage of the Japanese whaling method. Very disturbing.

Brian Miller said...

oh my...at least they are still floating, right?

Green-Eyed Momster said...

I don't know what to say. That might be a first.

:)

Marla said...

What a sad situation all around.