Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Bumper Sticker Madness



Driving the U-Haul on Sunday - yes, I am still having to get behind the wheel of a U-Haul, we had more junk to move and, no, I didn't get stuck - I was following a mini van that had one of the most interesting combinations of bumper stickers I had ever seen.

On the left hand side was a sticker that read - "The two voices in my head both say they don't like you".

Then centered on the rear window just to the right of that sticker was a "Coexist" sticker.

What is it with people? Coexist? What the voices inside his/her head are happily coexisting and agreeing that I am not the likable kind?

Or perhaps this is a husband and wife combination who have conflicting issues that need serious resolution. Needless to say, I was not only puzzled, but quite amused. If I weren't on my way to return the U-Haul, I would have followed them in order to take a picture to share with you all.

I personally don't have any bumper stickers. I don't believe in displaying on my bumper my feelings, insecurities, political affiliations or anything else for the world to see. It's my business. I do, however, get a kick out of reading those of others.

Why just the other day as I was allowing a tailgater to pass me by, I noticed she had a sticker that read "If you're going to ride my ass the least you could do is pull my hair." That's my kind of sense of humor. The hair pulling part, not the part that a tailgater has an anti-tailgating bumpersticker. The latter is just irony.

But I must admit, I am confused about the character in one of my favorite old comics - Calvin and Hobbes . You see Calvin everywhere in a variety of situations. Clearly he is now just a whore for money with no true loyalty. He pees on Chevys, Fords, GM's then prays at a cross. Oh, wait now I get it, it's okay for him to do these things because he prays for forgiveness. Near as I can tell that's how Christianity works for some....but that is another blog for another day.

What does your bumper say about you?

15 comments:

Nessa said...

I don't have any bumper stickers either but I've seen plenty of cars held together by them.

Blast from the Past

Matty said...

Mine is sticker-less.

big Jenn said...

I have some seriously good helmet stickers, but they're not G rated. jeNN

GEM said...

I don't have any bumper stickers on my car but I have an AC/DC sticker on the wall by my desk under my I'M HAVING A NICE DAY, DON'T SCREW IT UP sign. Everyone knows I'm crazy but I have to admit the best bumper stickers I've ever seen lately were these two:
I'm only speeding because I really have to poop.
And,
My inner child is a mean little fucker.

Don't tell anyone I visited, I'm still on a break, I swear!

Tracie said...

I don't have any either. All of those are funny. (Except Calvin. I hate those.)

Tall Kay said...

Mine are 'No bad days' with a palm tree and a big Harley Davidson logo. They're on my back window, not the bumper. I like em and it makes finding my car much easier!

the walking man said...

It took me a year to get it through my kids heads that bumper stickers of political or smart ass nature are police magnets. Better to be an activist in deed than bumper thought says I to them.

Lou said...

I recently saw in Detroit--
"honk if I'm paying your sub prime mortgage"

The Peach Tart said...

I've never been into the whole bumper sticker thing.

Unknown said...

My bumper says nothing right now, but I have many stickers for it eventually...like...'follow your bliss' etc...

Hey, I notice you're in Portland, I'm from Portland...used to live in the Hawthorne district LOL...Hippieville!

Hugs and am adding you to my blog roll!
G

Cameron said...

Hi Monkey Man! Love your blog name, and thanks for stopping by my Monkey blog too :) I'm not a car owner at the moment, bc I live in NYC, so I got nothin' on the bumper front! I'm not a big vanity plate kinda gal nor bumper sticker kinda gal, maybe I'm too boring or maybe I'm the sane one, LOL!
Will be following!
Cameron
www.conquerthemonkey.com

Maude Lynn said...

My bumper is naked!

Bubbie said...

Funny! I'd have a dachshund bumper sticker, but my family wouldn't approve. The dog most definitely would, though! Loved your observations. The coexist was great with the two voices. . .

Shadow said...

i don't have one anymore, but i did have one that said 'saw it, wanted it, had a fit, got it'...

listen for azure said...

I used to have a Dead Kennedy bumper sticker on my little old lady Cadillac elDorado, you might remember. I loved my Gir the dog from Invader Zim on the Infinity. The Jag needs no sticker, it has the hood ornament.

You? I imagine that your invisible bumper sticker says "I h8 bumper stickers".

Hee hee